Building the ACES II
At the time I started to search the net for some files, I landed at simpits.org. A Place I can recomment to anyone who is building his own simulator. It was at Simpits where you could find the link to Chris 'Speedone' van Lierop's site. He published several usefull hints and tips for the cockpitbuilder.
For his PDF on building the ACES go to
In the superb description there is one thing missing. There is no clue how to make the backrest of the seat. I mean the side where the pilot may find a good place to give his back some more comfort. For some corrections on Speedone's plans see the work of Red Dog at:
When finishing the chair, the backrest is still open. On the top I screwed a thin plate of plywood.
I added two curved shapes of MDF inside the two sides, and three pieces of wood on the inside.
One from top to the bottem, and two from left to the right.
See the pic's below.
On the lower part we use the same flexible plywood. First use a sheet of paper and draw some lines on it so you can see where the wooden frame is. We have to cut out an eggform hole. The pics below tell more.
Then srew the lower piece of plywoon on his place. Then use the paper shape to make an eggshape piece of plywood just some centimeters / an inch bigger than the existing hole.
See the pictures below.
Screw this piece on the lower part, just to see if it fits. And remember the angle it makes with the first part on several spots.
Remove the shape again and sand the edges of the hole the right angle.So the egg will make as much contact as possible.
Use some glue on the edges and screw the shape in place.
When the glue has dried remove the excess of wood
Then some serious sanding starts.
And after some sanding it looks like the pic below.
The only thing we have to do is to fill the holes and screws. And use some layers of paint to make it look like the following picture.
For I planned to place a Bass-Shaker underneath the seat I placed the simulator on a thick noise isolating plate of foam.
Inside the tub there is also some rubber underneath the seat.
The seat is standing on rubber so the vibrations are felt in the seat
Look for the Bass-Shaker story in the PDF Section.
It took a long time to decide to cut away the wooden parachute container which took so long to build.
I found a real container you know ;-)
It was a hell of a job, but quiet worth the effort.
With the wooden container dropping of so well I figured out the real container fitted very well on the top of the seat. But the fact is the backrest isn't like the real one. The curve on the top isn't like the original.
On the back of the headrest I screwed some plywood, from the front sides to the middle also two peaces of plywood. The top part will be the hardest to make, as everyone will confirm who made the mistake of constructing one whiteout the real one at hand. Like Me ;-)
On the left you see the lines I drew to shape the top of the headrest as I thought it should be
Did I mention jet I use the Dremel a lot?
Now it is time to fold some aluminum over this piece of art ;-)
Just fix it at one side, here the left and work to the other side.
It is easy to form.
When it is formed from left to right you also fix the aluminum on this side to the back of the head rest.
When turned over you notice the shape on the top is there spontaneously.
Now you can make the two cuts towards the middle.
I decided to let it stay the way it was, but this resulted in the little problem that would be born when we have to make the headrest.
For the parachute container there is to little space to put a headrest with the correct measurements.
Just be creative and make your own, less deep at the bottom and deeper at the top like the original.
On the top make some triangle cuts and bend the material over the top edge.
Bend the aluminum around the sides.
Just a little test to be sure all looks fine. On the top I added a thikker plate of aluminum to cover the benden aluminum and with two holes to let the two tubes go through.
To support the headrest to the top of the seat I screwed two little pieces of wood onto the top.
With two screws I can secure the headrest to the seat.
I also made a hole in the top of the
In the middle a U shaped piece is installed with a little iron bar inside. To fasten the two riser support ropes.
In the middle I took away some material to get a smooth line from the lower part to the headrest.
Here I also use a little sheet of aluminum.
For the support of the risers I found an axle of a barrow.
It looked alright when I checked it with a picture from the net.
Screw it to the top of the seat.
On the front side it looked like this.
The little aluminum plate installed and after a little paint job it looked like this